Using Goodreads Paid Advertising

C.R.Misty, the author of the International Boundaries Series | Book 1: Simple Affair and Book 2: Deeply Bound, writes about using Goodreads paid advertising.

This summer I published my first romance novel, Simple Affair. I worked on this blog, my social media channels, and contacted my personal networks to get the news out that this book had been published. Working on the above was the start to my own marketing campaign, and now that I have completed that, what’s next?

Well starting this week I will begin to run my first paid online advertisement. I have never ever paid for my own marketing because I am a do it yourself kind of girl and working on a tight budget. I have been an author for a few years and after observing the efforts of others and seeing what works and what doesn’t, I decided to take my first step with paid advertising thru Goodreads.
The reason that I picked the Goodreads platform to go with first is because it is a social media site that focuses on readers and books. They reach the exact online users that I want (users that love to read) and they have tools that allow me to focus marketing efforts on specific users, for example, people who love to read romance.

This week: My advertisement will go live on Goodreads. I am starting with a small amount to see how the tool works and be able to monitor the activity on the ad.

I have included a few screen shots of what the campaign set up looks like on Goodreads.

The first image shows you the selection for setting your budget and on the right side of the screen you can see what my ad will look like once it goes live on Goodreads.






The second image shows the targeting that I can do. I have checked off specific genres that relate to the novel, so my ad will focus on readers who like reading those genres.


The Update: My Goodreads campaign has been live for ten months now and this is what I love about it. I love that every day Goodreads will email me an analytic's report on how many views, clicks and the cost per click that the advertisement has produced. I love the fact that investing money towards the ad is quick and easy. I also love how I have the ability to go in an edit the advertisement at any time and I have done this a few times with adjustments to the wording, changing my targeted audiences as well as changing the URL link that the ad will direct too. It also has a feature to pause the ad if needed which I had used in order to give myself time to adjust marketing strategies.

The only challenge I see with this kind of ad is that I am paying for a small space on the Goodreads website. The advertisement typically posts on the right side of the page and partway down so its not immediately visible in comparison to a banner that features at the top of the page.


The Results: My ad trends at between 300 and 500 views daily, however the click ratio is under 1%. I think it is amazing that I am receiving all of the views and the challenge is converting the views to clicks and what I have done to try to improve the percentage is to make changes to the ad, publish it and monitor the results by reviewing the analytic's.

If you are also on Goodreads be sure to check out my profile here and say hello.


About the Author: C.R. Misty is currently writing a romance trilogy. Her books are available online at Kindle, Nook, Kobo, ibook, inktera, OverDrive, Amazon & Createspace

Comments

Popular Posts