Designing and Producing your own Bookmark on a Budget

C.R.Misty, the author of the International Boundaries Series | Book 1: Simple Affair and Book 2: Deeply Bound, shares information on how to create a bookmark that is inexpensive and looks great.

Background

I am a self-published Author with a few published works under different pen names. I have marketed myself online, through social media and my goal for 2016 is to start making appearances at local bookstores as a way to branch out. Having marketing material is important to me and these bookmarks will serve as my marketing swag for these events.

My goal is to keep costs minimal while I build a fan base and sell novels.

Step 1: Go Shopping!

Materials Needed

Make sure you have the following materials on hand

Glossy Photo Paper (I went with 8.5 X 11 Glossy) I purchased this at Walmart for under $30.00 for 50 sheets.



Laminate (I went with a 8.5 X 11) self-seal that doesn't require you to have a machine)) I purchased this at Walmart under $15.00 for 10 sheets.



You need a computer that is equipped with photo design software (I use Photoshop)

A photo printer with color ink



A credit card or other flat edged object

Scissors or a professional professional paper cutter like this one.



Time Required

1 hour (I gave myself a few days to think of how I wanted my bookmark design to look before I began creating it. The one hour captures, creating and saving your final image design, printing your image, letting the ink dry and laminating your bookmark. Once you have your final image design saved you can cut 1 hour down to 20 minutes).

Step 2: Get Creative & Design!

Login to your computer and open up your design software and start being creative. For my design I used a couple of photos that I had taken, re-sized them and then layered them with colors and typography. After creating my first template and printing it I found that I needed to tweak it. I hadn't created cut lines so I went back to my template and made the adjustments to the final design.

My Before



My After



Step 3: Printing!

I made my design to cover one side of a sheet of paper. In order for me to create a double sided bookmark I first marked the blank sheets bottom right corner with a dot so that I could track how I fed it into the paper. I fed the paper so that the dot was located on the side facing me to the bottom right of the page. Feed your sheet in the printer and print your design.

To print on the opposite side of the paper look at the dot you put in and simply flip the sheet so that the dot appears on the revers side so that it is then facing to the floor but located on the top right. Feed your sheet in the printer and print again.



Step 4: Putting it All Together!

My first batch of bookmarks yielded 6 with 1 sheet of photo paper and 1 sheet of laminate


You can see in this image how my design template turned out with images appearing on both sides.



The next step is cutting out the bookmarks. If you have a professional paper cutter I recommend using one. For my own, I have a fairly steady hand and used scissors.

This is an image how they look after you have cut them out.



After cutting out your bookmarks you are going to take the laminate and read the instruction on how to use the product. I peeled open the sheet, in laid my bookmarks on the none sticky side, peeled off an adhesive strip and them slowly let the sticky side fall over the bookmarks.



After the sticky side has completely covered your bookmarks take a flat edged object. I used a gift card and scrape over the laminate to push out any air bubbles and to also ensure that the laminate is glued.



This is the laminated result.



Cut each of the laminated bookmarks out. You want to leave a clear plastic edge around each bookmark so that the adhesive on from the laminate holds.

This is the final result, a gorgeous bookmark!



About the Author: C.R. Misty is currently writing a romance trilogy. Find her books online at Kindle, Nook, Kobo, ibook, inktera, OverDrive, Amazon & Createspace


Comments

Popular Posts